Just for Libraries
complete course kit
intro workshop kit / cost / content / follow-up
example packages / design a training
bilingual achievement record
LIBRARY INTRO WORKSHOP KIT
Want to train your staff to speak a little Spanish, and then provide them with the resources to learn more?
The Learning Light now offers a reproducible mini “intro workshop” kit, based on the complete reproducible course kit, which may be a good option for libraries who want to do a brief (probably one-time) training to introduce staff to Spanish and give them a few reference sheets they can use on the job.
The Library intro workshop kit includes a master copy of the workshop reference sheets, license to make 20 copies of the reference sheets, one example copy of the reference sheets (can be used for instructor copy), the Spanish that Works teacher orientation video, and one copy of the library audio CD.
You can use the materials to give everyone a basic introduction, and then provide follow-up with the complete course or community TV videotapes), for staff that are motivated to learn more.
Cost of the intro kit
- $150 plus $5 S & H for library intro workshop kit and license to make 20 copies of the reference sheets
- License to make additional copies of the reference sheets at $3 per copy, on the honor system
- Additional audio CD’s may be purchased at $10 (+ $1 S & H) per CD that we make
- OR, you may purchase a license to make copies of your CD at $5 per copy (black & white CD labels provided upon request)
- We can substitute an additional audio CD for the teacher video for libraries that already have the reproducible group kit, or are going to purchase the group kit as part of a training package.
- Follow-up materials for staff to continue the learning
- Copy of complete course text for your instructor. This is free to copy from the Spanish that Works in the Library course kit. Libraries that do not have the complete course kit may purchase an individual copy of the non-reproducible Spanish that Works for You generic course text for $99 + S & H for their instructor. This text is no longer sold separately.
- Your own bilingual staff or community member can lead the workshop
- If you use your own instructor, he or she should watch the orientation video for an explanation of the pronunciation guide used with the course
- Spanish that Works author & teacher Elizabeth Almann is available to present workshops. Please call or email us for details.
Reference sheets in the intro workshop
- Workshop cover
- Workshop Questionnaire
- “Saying & Understanding” reference sheet (Intro to Spanish pronunciation)
- Basic words for library interactions
- “Basic Customer Service” reference sheet
- “Numbers, Time, Day, Date” reference sheet
- Sample library mini-dialogues
- Sample library sentence builder
- Sample library phrases*
- Journal portion of the BAR
- Basic & library course outlines (for libraries doing follow-up)
*Library phrase lists & Dewey category hand-outs are available on the free page of the website. You may print these out and include them in your workshop packets.
For groups (or if a number of staff will want to continue learning), the complete Spanish that Works in the Library course explains basic structures in an easy, step-by-step way.
You get a master copy of the text, flashcards, and reference sheets, and your license lets you make a set number of student copies, plus as many teacher copies of the materials that you need. You can make the student copies as you need them, and you can purchase licenses to make additional copies if you need more.
Cost: Group course kits are $525 (15 copy license), $675 (30 copy license) and $1750 (100 copy license). Additional license is $17 per copy up to 100 copies; after that it is $12 per copy.
Library audio CD
For staff that want to practice listening to how the words are pronounced, the library audio CD includes:
- How to say basic & library things, places, and people words
- How to say the words on the “Basic Customer Service” reference sheet (greetings, courtesy, negotiating meaning, basic questions, commands)
- How to say the words on the “Numbers, Time, Day, Date” reference sheet
- How to say the “essential verbs” & library actions words
Cost:$10 (plus $1, S & H) per each additional copy of CD that we make
$5 for each license to copy the CD on your own (black & white CD labels available upon request)
For additional help, you may purchase a set of the Bee Bilingual! community television program videotapes.
This four tape series, done live-to-tape by Spanish that Works author and teacher Elizabeth Almann for community television, covers each of the sixteen lessons in the Spanish that Works for You generic course. You can use the videotapes in as outside class reinforcement, or for independent study. The tapes are not fancy or high tech, but you will see and hear the basic information as if you were sitting in class. You can use the videotapes in conjunction with any of the Spanish that Works courses, either as outside class reinforcement, or for independent study.
The videotapes may be copied by libraries using either the Spanish that Works course kit or intro workshop, and may be shown at group trainings.
Cost: $97, including S & H, for set of four videos
DESIGN YOUR OWN PACKAGE!
You can use your licensing agreement to come up with a training package that fits your needs. Here are some examples of what is possible. For help with choosing what is best for you, call us toll free at 866-391-8901.
Example Training Packages
Example #1: Small library, small budget
- Materials for four hour intro workshop for 15 staff members
- (5 extra copies of reference sheets may be made and used as desk copies, or saved for future staff members.)
- License to make 5 copies of library audio CD to circulate among staff
- Your bilingual staff member to watch the teacher orientation video and lead the training
- $150 for intro workshop kit, plus $5, S & H
- $25 for license to make 5 copies of audio CD
Additional costs: Printing, 5 blank CD’s, staff time
Example #2: Three branches, staff to follow up
- Materials for two-hour workshop for 50 staff members
- Ten additional copies of audio CD’s to circulate among staff
- Course kit with 15 copy license for student binders to be distributed among 3 branches
- Videotapes to be copied and used for follow-up training in conjunction with student course binders
- Intro workshop kit plus license for additional 30 copies: $240, plus $5, S & H
- 10 additional copies of audio CD: $100, plus $10, S & H
- Follow-up library course kit with 15 copy license: $525, plus $9.95, S & H (includes license to make all necessary teacher copies)
- Set of Bee Bilingual! community TV videos, reproducible: $97
Additional costs: Workshop presenter fee (can be from your own community), printing, staff time, binders for course copies, blank videotapes as needed
Need help deciding what’s right for you?
Please email Elizabeth Almann at email@example.com or call toll free 1-866-391-8901 with a description of your needs, and we will help you design a training package that fits your needs
BILINGUAL ACHIEVEMENT RECORD
Would you like a way for staff to be able to show what they have learned from Spanish that Works, and demonstrate how they are applying this knowledge in the library?
We have recently developed a simple self-assessment form called the “Bilingual Achievement Record” (that’s BAR for short). Staff can use the BAR to document accomplishments in learning Spanish and use of Spanish at work.
The journal portion of the BAR is included in both the Spanish that Works Library Intro Workshop and the Spanish that Works in the Library reproducible course kit. It is also available on the free page of the website.
There is also a vocabulary assessment portion of the BAR that goes with the complete course and is included with the Spanish that Works in the Library reproducible kit. Libraries that purchased the course kit before the BAR was developed may contact Elizabeth Almann at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll free, 1-866-391-8901.
back to top